Proposals to extend pensions auto enrolment to younger workers
The government has announced proposals to extend pensions auto enrolment to include younger workers and to amend the way in which contributions are calculated.
According to the press release:
‘The review’s recommendations, which will now be progressed and legislated for where necessary, will see:
- automatic enrolment duties continuing to apply to all employers, regardless of sector and size
- young people, from 18 years old, benefiting from automatic enrolment, introducing 900,000 young people into saving an additional £800 million through a workplace pension
- workplace pension contributions calculated from the first pound earned, rather than from a lower earnings limit – this will bring an extra £2.6 billion into pension saving, improving incentives for people in multiple jobs to opt-in, and simplifying the way employers assess their workforces and calculate contributions
- the earnings trigger remaining at £10,000 for 2018/19, subject to annual reviews
- contribution levels reviewed after the implementation of the 8% contribution rate in 2019
- the government testing a series of ‘targeted interventions’ – including through opportunities to work with organisations who act as ‘touch points’ for the 4.8 million self-employed people, such as banks and those who contract labour – to explore how technology can be used to increase their pension saving.’
Under auto enrolment, employers are required to automatically enrol all eligible workers (generally employees) into a workplace pension scheme and pay a minimum contribution into their pension. Employees do, however, have the right to opt out of auto enrolment.
Currently workers who are aged between 22 and the State Pension Age with earnings of £10,000 per annum are eligible to be auto enrolled. Younger employees and those who do not meet the minimum income requirement can opt to make pension contributions.
The government plan to reduce the lower age limit to 18 by the mid 2020s, in order to encourage younger workers to get into ‘the habit of saving’.
David Gaulke, Work and Pensions Secretary said:
‘We are committed to enabling more people to save while they are working, so that they can enjoy greater financial security when they retire. We know the world of work is changing, so it is only right that pension saving does too. This ambitious package will see more people than ever before helped onto the path towards building a secure retirement.’
Mike Cherry, National Chairman of the Federation of Small Businesses (FSB), stated:
‘Requiring employers to contribute from the first pound of earnings will mean that, by 2019, hundreds of thousands of small employers will have to pay up to £180 more per employee each year. ‘For employers in certain sectors, such as care and hospitality where margins are tight, this will really add up.’
Contact us if you would like help with payroll and auto enrolment.
Being immersed in the nitty gritty of tax? Talk to Simon Boxall at Ward Williams who can help with some thorny subjects such as should I let my property furnished or unfurnished? Or when should I do maintenance work?Jeremy Wasden, Director at Belvoir Lettings Uxbridge
Because services have always been reliable and questions are answered and advice given promptly.Ian Macdonald, Macdonald Associates Consultancy
A high level of dedicated personal service and ability to find and recommend solutions and complex questions.Bruce Todd, InCompass International Consultancy Services Ltd.
I have always found Ward Williams team to be responsive and helpful to any questions for advice.Ann Tomsett
We have had a long successful working relationship with Ward Williams over many years.David Warwick, MASDAR (UK) Limited.
Knowledgeable and informative advice. Trustworthy and competent. Very friendly likeable staff. Completely Satisfied.Mrs Ingrid Klinkhamer
I am extremely happy with the service provided and would try to recommend Ward Williams at every opportunity.Michelle McIntyre, Airboe Components Limited.
I have enjoyed a long relationship with Ward Williams and have found you to be very competent at what you do!Bryan Lewis, Media On Demand
To date I have been very satisfied with the service providedDavid Hawkins, Cane Bay PTY Ltd.
Excellent service both personally and as a business.Guy Hewitt, Angelo European Trading (UK) Ltd.
Ward Williams supported my business since shortly after its inception. Phil, Ming and Jamie respond constructively and promptly to any queries that I may have and my dealings with the other staff are always friendly and courteous.Madeline McGill, Senior Executive Selection Coaching & Development Ltd.
Great service from great people. Moving our business to Ward Williams was one of our better decisions.John Yeomans, Champagne Food Ltd.
Friendly, efficient and professional service.Irene Reid, Domains Lettings Ltd.